A week ago today the Reading players returned for the first day of pre-season training. A week later and the players are heading out to Spain for an intense training camp that will feature a number of friendlies, including one against La Liga side Sevilla. The Royals got their pre-season calendar underway with a win on Saturday as they defeated Southend United 2-0 at Hogwood. The majority of the squad that has travelled to Spain is comprised of players from the U23’s, in part because these players will make up the majority of the squad this season, but also so that deals to allow some senior players to leave can be done quicker.
When the players returned to training last Monday, it was reported that the club were looking to move on as many as eight first team players. On the transfer front so far, it is being reported that:
- Millwall have agreed a £750,000 deal to sign Jon Dadi Bodvarsson
- Charlton are interested in signing Sam Baldock
- Garath McCleary is being tracked by clubs in the MLS
- Liam Kelly looks to set to complete a move to Feyenoord and reunite with Jaap Stam, after he has supposedly passed a medical and agreed personal terms
- Young keeper Liam Driscoll is being looked at by Yeovil Town
- Bids have been rejected for Mo Barrow, but the player is keen to leave
Other players that have been told they can leave include long standing servant Chris Gunter, Adrian Popa, Marc McNulty, David Meyler and Luke Southwood.
It is no secret that Reading are a club strapped for cash, so the squad and the wage bill needs to be trimmed in order for players to join the club. Everton U23 goalkeeper Joao Virginia is apparently close to joining on loan, and it was reported last week that Reading were considering making an offer to free agent Gary Hooper.
Whatever happens on the transfer front, or in pre-season friendlies we will certainly try our best to bring it to you here on Vital Reading.