Date: 24th September 2011 at 5:33pm
Written by:

Reading drew 1-1 with Coventry at the Ricoh Arena, with McSheffrey opening the scoring early on before Simon Church equalised. Both sides also missed penalties.

Reading made one enforced change to their line up against Coventry following their 2-0 victory over Doncaster last week, with Adam Le Fondre coming in for the injured Jimmy Kebe which would push Noel Hunt out onto the wing.

It was the worst possible start for the Royals at the Richoh Arena as they were behind after two minutes. Dangerman Gary McSheffrey beat Alex Pearce before turning inside and firing a firm effort past the despairing Adam Federici.

It continued to be one way traffic except a Adam Le Fondre effort which went well over the bar but the Royals responded on 10 minutes as Simon Church equalised. The Welsh international was fed through by Le Fondre and coolly slotted past Joe Murphy for his second goal in as many games.

Reading were firmly in the ascendancy now as a fantastic cross from captain Jobi McAnuff just deceived Hunt`s head. Sky Blues striker Jutkiewicz then had a half chance to put his side back infront but brave goalkeeping from Federici kept the sides level.

Mikele Leigertwood then had an effort at the Coventry goal with his shot bouncing infront of Joe Murphy but the keeper dealt with it well. McSheffrey continued to cause problems for the Royals defence and just fired wide from 25-yards.

Reading continued to pile on the pressure and it paid off as Coventry defender Christie brought down Jobi McAnuff, giving Eddie Ilderton no choice but to point to the spot. Noel Hunt stepped up, only to see his spot kick saved by his fellow countryman Murphy.

Despite the miss, the Royals continued to pressure the Coventry goal as an Alex Pearce header was narrowly wide from a Joe Mills delivery. Coventry had a late spurt towards the end of a half, with a David Bell effort the closest they came.

Coventry started the second half in the way they started the first as McSheffrey tested Federici with a rasping drive. Federici was then brought into the action again as a firm Sammy Clingan free kick tested the Australian.

The Royals did not have the same attacking intent as they did in the first half as Federici was drawn into another top class save as he saved from Jutkiewicz`s header. Substitute Robson-Kanu then had a decent chance as he should have done better with his header.

McAnuff then had a half chance as he was slipped in by Simon Church but his shot was deflected over from a corner. Le Fondre himself then had a decent chance but headed wide after pressure form the Coventry goalkeeper.

Once again Federici was Coventry`s tormentor as he saved again from Jutkiewicz. Way into the three minutes of injury time, Coventry had a fantastic chance to win the game as Gorkss clumsily brought down Jutkiewicz in the box. The striker stepped up only to smash over the bar to give a share of the points.

Reading: Federici, Cummings, Pearce, Gorkss, Mills, Hunt, Leigertwood, Tabb, McAnuff, Le Fondre, Church

Subs: McCarthy, Gunnarsson, Howard, Robson-Kanu, Manset

Coventry:Murphy, Keogh, Christie, Cranie, Hussey, Bell, Clingan, Thomas, McSheffrey, Jutkiewicz, McDonald

Subs: Dunn, Cameron, Deegan, O’Donovan, Platt