As we look forward to today’s game with Nottingham Forest, we caught up with Forest fan and season ticket holder Jay
As we look forward to today’s game with Nottingham Forest, we caught up with Forest fan and season ticket holder, Jay (@forest_jay), to talk about the game. We ask Jay about Forest’s promotion hopes this season, our new signings Jamie Mackie and Simon Cox, among other topics.
1. How disappointing was last season for you? You seemed as if you would be right in the promotion picture come the end of the season, but it slowly faded away – why do think your form dropped so dramatically?
I’ve put last season well & truly in the back of my mind as it was so painful towards the end. Trying to pin point the actual reasons for what happened isn’t easy. The injury crisis didn’t help but the club should have pulled together a lot better than it. The main reason maybe the man that used a club that put so much faith in him….Billy Davies. His agendas , negative attitude & willingness to put himself before NFFC dragged the club to a horrible low & the media blackout just turned us into the most hated club in England.
2. What are your expectations for the upcoming season? Has your impressive start changed any pre-season expectations you had?
My expectations haven’t changed despite a good start, we’ve played well in sections of games but the perfect 90mins hasn’t happened yet. Big changes occurred in the summer & it will take time for the group to really understand each other. Top 6 should be the aim.
3. What do you make of your transfer dealings so far this window? What else do you reckon you need before the season starts?
In a word… shrewd. With exception of Assombolonga, the signings have been free of for a very low fee. Mancienne looks like he could be the best signing to me, real class about the lad. Fryatt has great experience at this level & could be the perfect partner for Britt. As for further additions, its hard to say because the I think we have a very capable squad. Yes you can always improve but the more changes we make the longer it will take for the team to bed. Window can end now for me & just assess the squad between now & January.
4. Many are saying how the return of Stuart Pearce is perfect for both parties at the moment – were you pleased to see him appointed and how has he done so far in your opinion?
Psycho is my hero & to have him back at the club is fantastic. Hopefully his experiences at City & England U21’s have been a great benefit to him & will be greater benefit to us. The job he inheritated is a lot more than just results , he has to change the culture of the whole club & that job has already begun. Everything feels so much better & more positive than it did under the horrible little jock.
5. Were you disappointed to see Simon Cox and Jamie Mackie leave the Forest ground and what sort of players should we expect to see in those two?
Wasn’t disappointed about Cox in the end. He looked a shadow of the player we signed. At his best he is a hard worker who partners a poacher well. Or at his worst he’ll miss a host of chances & give linesman chronic arm & shoulder ache.
Mackie is the perfect squad player & was shocked to see him go. He’ll run all day & wind the opposition up. Good championship player.
6. If you could take any Reading player, who would it be and why?
Gunts all day long. Best RB in this league & commits to everything. Can we have him back please???
7. What starting XI and shape do you expect to see from Pearce on Saturday?
CB’s Hobbs & Mancienne
AM Antonio. Reid & Burke
FW Assombalonga & Fryatt
442 or 4132. FB’s getting forward in support of wingers lots of crosses into Britt & Marty Fryatt.
8. What is your prediction for the game?
Err 2-1 Forest (I hope)