As we look forward to Friday`s crucial encounter against Wigan, we caught up with Wigan season ticket holder and fan Carl
As we look forward to Friday`s crucial encounter against Wigan, we caught up with Wigan season ticket holder and fan Carl (@CDLatics). We ask about Wigan`s resurgence under Uwe Rosler, how the FA Cup over the past two seasons has affected them and his prediction for the game, among other aspects.
1. After so many seasons escaping Premier League relegation by the skin of your teeth, how disappointing was it for you to finally drop down into the Championship? How much did the FA Cup victory soften the blow?
Relegation was a big disappointment, but winning The FA Cup meant all attention in the town was paid to that. I wouldn’t swap winning the cup for staying up.
2. What was the expectation among Wigan fans at the start of the season? Did you feel that you could bounce straight back up at the first time of asking under Owen Coyle?
Expectation was high end of last season and before this one, but that took a huge knock when Coyle was appointed. We expected to bounce straight back before his arrival, after it was a matter of putting up with it.
3. The job that Uwe Rosler has done is nothing short of superb, why do you feel he has had such a great immediate impact?
Uwe Rosler likes to attack and play football, something lost on Owen Coyle. Gone are the Stoke like long throws into the box which were so annoying. Best of all is his relationship with fans. To have a manager come over & bow down before you & always applaud you makes you feel great about him. Again something that was lost on Owen Coyle.
4. Do you feel that your superb FA Cup this season run helped your league form? Or did it not really have any affect?
I think FA Cup run actually hindered this season, with so many Championship games & Europe, the FA Cup added to an already heavy schedule.
5. Who are your stand out players in the side at the moment?
First have to say Al Habsi, standout every season since coming. Outfield at moment, Gomez, Barnett & McClean. However our best have been out through injury in McManaman, Ramis & Maloney. McManaman played 1/2 as did Ramis in FA Cup semi, with McManaman looking like he’s gonna make a big impact. Expect Maloney play next match too.
6. If you could take any Reading player at the moment, who would it be and why?
Le Fondre. Knows where the back of the net is, something we’ve suffered with a good while.
7. What starting XI and shape do you expect to see on Friday from Rosler?
That’s a difficult one & to be honest and an annoyance sometimes. The team is changed week to week. What I’d love to see is McClean on left, McManaman on right, Maloney & McCarthur centre with Fortune & Powell up front. Defence of Boyce, Barnett, Ramis & Beausejoir. Al Habsi in goal. My ideal team, but can never predict Rosler.
8. What is your prediction for the game?
Being honest, play the team above I see us winning. BUT, play Caldwell in defence, don’t start McManaman & Maloney, I see Reading win.