As we look forward to this afternoon’s match with Sheffield Wednesday, we caught up with Owls season ticket holder and fan Ash Finney
As we look forward to this afternoon’s match with Sheffield Wednesday, we caught up with Owls season ticket holder and fan Ash Finney (@AshFinney1), who kindly answered some questions ahead of today’s game. Ash talks about their under-pressure manager Dave Jones, his expectations for the season and a prediction for this afternoon. Cheers and Happy Birthday Ash!
1. What were your expectations before the season started?
Before the season started I honestly thought that we could push on this season for a top 10 finish. I really thought that we had brought in a couple of players that could make a difference to our squad and be that last finishing touch that we needed.
2. Wednesday are still yet to register their first win in the league, but you have been drawing quite a few, rather than losing. Do you think you will be in a relegation battle come the end of the season?
I don’t think we will if I’m being 100% honest with you, I look at it as if we get a few wins under our belt all of a sudden we become a team that is hard to beat, rather than I team who can’t win. I think that if we can get that first win I really do think we will kick on but I don’t think we will be in a relegation battle this year.
3. Dave Jones did a great job in getting you up from League One, but you have struggled over the past few months and questions marks even remained over last seasons performances. What are your current views on Jones and is he still the right man for the job?
My current views on Dave Jones are that I think he is a great manager I really do, however he really does frustrate the life out of me sometimes with the formations and substitutes that he makes sometimes. Some of them just leave you absolutely baffled. Another thing about DJ is that he seems to have his ‘favourites’ what I mean by this is players that play poor or don’t put effort in yet he brings the other winger or central midfielder off instead of them really does wind me and my fellow owls fans up.
4. Michail Antonio is a player we let go two seasons ago as he couldn`t break into our first team, how well has he done at Hillsborough?
The first time he came to us was in league 1 on a loan till the end of the season and he was absolutely quality, scored a hell of a lot of key goals which helped us gain promotion that season. Then we signed him the following season on a permanent and he was once again a really good player and was arguably our best player last season before his unfortunate groin injury which kept him out for a big chunk of the end of last season. This season he just hasn’t been his usual self, he seems lazy and not bothered about playing, I’m not slagging Michail off her because when he does show us his old self he is a really bad player for the opposition to handle.
5. Who is your stand out player at the moment?
I’d have to say Chris Kirkland, if it wasn’t for him we could quite potentially be on 0 points. What a season he is having, been very sturdy and consistent this season and had also won both of our player of the month awards.
6. If you could take any Reading player at the moment, who would it be and why?
There are a lot of players that I would love to see at Wednesday from Reading as you really do have a lot of quality players. I’d love to see someone like Danny Guthrie or Adam Le Fondre in our side as that’s what type of players we are missing.
7. What starting XI and shape do you expect to see on Saturday from Jones?
I wouldn’t be surprised to see DJ start 4-5-1 again which is not what us fans are hoping for but I have a feeling we will go 4-4-2. I’d say potential starting line up would be:
Helan Olofinjana McPhail Antonio
Reda J Roger J Zayatte Buxton
8. What is your prediction for the game?
Ooo, I’m going to have to stick my neck on the line and go for a 2-1 win for The Owls. It’s my birthday on Saturday and whenever we play on my birthday we normally win and we are due a win haha.