As we look forward to tomorrow’s game with Rotherham, we could up with Millers fan and season ticket holder, Deano
As we look forward to tomorrow’s game with Rotherham, we could up with Millers fan and season ticket holder, Deano (@deano83rufc). We ask Deano about the controversial figure of Steve Evans, their start to the season, and the Royals player he secretly admires. Deano is also a contributor at MillersMAD.co.uk, who can also be followed on @rotherhammad.
1. You currently sit in 17th place in the Championship, have you been happy with your start in the Championship?
Fairly happy yes, although I feel we could have had a few more points on the table. It’s an unforgiving league though whilst being wide open which will help us as we adapt. We still have 5 or 6 lads who played in league Two so they are learning as they go.
2. It would probably be fair to say that Steve Evans is not one of the most popular people in football, how do Rotherham fans view him and his success with the club?
As you say he’s hated by many and a lot of us were angry to say the least when he came due to his image, but there’s no denying he’s a super man manager and gets the best out of what he works with. He’s toned down his attitude a hell of a lot and if people forget the vitriol for 5 minutes and actually listen to him, he talks a lot of sense about football. Back to back promotions speaks for itself and 8 promotions as a manager too, he’s been a breath of fresh air for us as a club.
3. What are your realistic expectations for the season now and do you expect to achieve them?
Survival at all costs and I hope we’ll be fine from what I’ve seen so far. We aim for a mid table finish with hard work and determination, we’ve got a bit of quality too and like to try and play decent football despite having a tag as a physical side.
4. Ben Pringle is a player that would have attracted interest over the summer – how has he adapted to Championship life and do you expect to keep him past January?
He was actually dropped after a sluggish start to the season but it gave him a bit of a kick up the backside. On his day he’s got one of the sweetest left foots in the division. I see no reason why he won’t stay here, clubs have sniffed around but we have no pressure to sell.
5. Which Rotherham player(s) are really excelling so far this season?
Paul Green has been outstanding in midfield and knows this division inside out, probably our best summer signing. Experienced and does the dirty work to make us tick.
6. If you could take any Reading player, who would it be and why?
I think Glenn Murray would fit well into our team, Matt Derbyshire hasn’t quite cut it yet and we still need that reliable goalscorer since Kieran Agard left. Maybe we could both do with Alfie back from Cardiff? 😉
7. What starting XI and shape do you expect to see from Evans on Tuesday?
Joe Skarz is back from suspension at left back and was a big miss Saturday as he’s started every game before that. Alex Revell is an injury doubt and would be a big blow if he was to miss out. We’ll certainly play a flat 4-4-2 but the midfield can rotate to make a diamond formation, it depends on who Evans chooses.
8. What is your prediction for the game?
We’re certainly due a win at Reading (last one was 1977!). Head says we’ll sneak a point but O’ve had a fiver on us to win 2-1.