As we look forward to this afternoon’s game at Brighton, we caught up with Brighton fan and season ticket holder, Paul Stewart
As we look forward to this afternoon’s game at Brighton, we caught up with Brighton fan and season ticket holder, Paul Stewart (@PS_FreNZee). We asked Paul about Brighton’s managerial situation, his expectation for the season and the Royals player he secretly admires.
1. What were your expectations before the season started? Have they changed now?
Under yet another new manager my expectations were mid table but with the current situation I’m expecting a relegation fight to be honest.
2. Why do you think you have struggled this season compared to the last one? Was it the manager or have the players not stepped up?
I think you have to put some blame onto the players, after all they’re out on the pitch controlling the game (or not in our case). Although most of the blame has to stop with the gaffer, his tactics and refusal to change them when they clearly were not working.
3. First of all, did you agree with the sacking of Sami Hyypia and why did it go wrong for him at Brighton?
He resigned rather than getting the boot and think it was the correct thing for him to do as I don’t think the board were going to sack him and he could see it wasn’t working. As I said before I don’t think he had the right tactics for the players we have and refused to change anything, which is where his problems were.
4. Who do you want to see as your next manager?
Pulis is the favourite I think but I’m not overly struck with him. To be honest I wanted Steve Clarke but some other club have picked him up now 😉. I would be happy with Sherwood or Hughton, maybe even Karl Robinson from MK Dons.
5. Which Brighton player(s) are really excelling so far this season?
That’s a tough one as most of the players in the squad are on loan. Crofts was doing well again before his injury but I would have to say Lewis Dunk has probably been the most improved.
6. If you could take any Reading player, who would it be and why?
We need a right back and you have one in Chris Gunter who will fit nicely into our back 4. Feel free to send him whenever you like.
7. What starting XI and shape do you expect to see from caretaker manager Nathan Jones?
I’m hoping there is reason for the recall of Mackail-Smith and Jones is going to play 2 front men.
Stockdale, Calderon, Dunk, Halford, J Bennett, Forster-Caskey, March, E Bennett, Teixeira, Bent, Baldock. In a 4-4-2, more hopeful than insightful though.
8. What is your prediction for the game?
With both of us struggling at the wrong end of the table I’m going for the ever popular, fence sitting prediction of a draw. 2-2