Date: 21st January 2016 at 2:31pm
Written by:

Matej Vydra stole the show after a second half hat trick put Reading through to the fourth round of the FA Cup.

McDermott opted to start the same eleven as MK Dons as he wanted to see a response after a lack lustre performance.

However, Reading got off to a catastrophic start when Cooper misjudged the ball and Jamie Patterson ran through and emphatically hit it past Al-Habsi.

Just 7 minutes later, the Terriers made it 2. A Huws header came off the post, but Reading failed to clear and Tommy Smith smashed it into the far corner via the post.

It was the worst 25 minutes I’ve seen in a long time. Reading couldn’t string two passes together and Huddersfield were cutting their defence apart at will. If it wasn’t for Al-Habsi, it could’ve been 5.

However, the turning point in the game came just before the 30 minute mark when Vydra’s quick feet got him past Jonathon Hogg, who bought the striker down. This time, unlike last week, the ref deemed it to be stopping a goal scoring opportunity and sent the midfielder off.

From the resulting free kick, Lucas Piazon fired in a perfect shot into the top corner, leaving the keeper helpless.

Reading then expectantly dominated possession but were unable to break the away side down before half time.

With Garath Mccleary injured, Ola John came on and changed the game.

The home side then equalised after 57 minutes when cooper found Vydra on the half way line after clearing a corner. Vydra’s lay off fell to John who broke away with pace and threaded in a perfect pass for Kanu who saw his shot saved, only for Vydra to volley home the equaliser.

Just four minutes later, the comeback was complete as Vydra turned home the influential, Ola John’s, cross home.

Just moments later, Reading faced a scare as Wells’ loping shot rebounded off the post and to safety.

After this, the home side were in control and saw out the game without doing much attacking wise.

However, in the 90th minute, Vydra, who had only scored 3 in his previous 20, completed his 33 minute hat trick after latching onto a Norwood through ball to finish past Murphy.

Substitute, Alex Fernandez, then made it 5 with a low drive into the corner.

A great recovery from Reading which will hopefully help them kick on in the league.