Date: 24th March 2010 at 10:50pm
Written by:

A 90th minute penalty from Gylfi Sigurdsson gave the Royals another three points at the Walkers Stadium. It looked liked the sides would have to settle for a point after Martyn Wagnorn cancelled out Jimmy Kebe`s early strike but the Ice cool Icelandic youngster stole the show again!

With Ivar Ingimarsson out injured, Brian McDermott brought in Zurab Kizhanishvili to partner captain Matt Mills at the back. The rest of the side remained the same as the one who got a point at Middlesbrough but the game started slowly with both sides lacking any real creativity.

That quickly changed on the half hour when Sigurdsson released Kebe with a fine pass and despite being taken very wide by keeper Chris Weale, the inform Malian found the back of net with ease. It was a brilliant start for the Royals however, apart from one effort cleared off the line, we rarely threatened the home side again in the first period.

Before the break Leicester equalised when Lloyd Dyer`s cross was headed home by Martyn Waghorn, who had also found the net in the reverse fixture at the Mad Stad earlier in the season. They almost went in front when Andy King chipped goal wards but Adam Federici made a fine save to keep the midfielders effort out.

The second period saw a lot of fighting spirit and Andy Griffin and Dyer were booked for a clash before Jay Tabb was stretchered off injured, a big blow to the Royals.

Sigurdsson continued to stand out for his creative play and he tested Weale with a decent effort before McDermott opted to go 4-4-2 and really try to snatch three points. Grzegorz Rasiak and Simon Church came on and the two combined to make the impact needed to snatch three points.

Rasiak flicked it on and Church collected from the giant Pole, and raced into the area. Before he could shoot he was fouled and a penalty was awarded, and there was only one man who would take it. Sigurdsson, as he had done just over a week ago against QPR, calmly converted giving the keeper no chance.

This was not really a convincing performance but at the end of the day it is another three points and moves us up to 11th in the table with the play offs firmly in our sights.


One Reply to “Gylfi leaves it late at Leicester”

Comments are closed.